Wednesday 10 September 2014

This is a Post

I haven't written in forever. 

"And who's fault is that?" My boyfriend just asked me. I know, it's true. It's important to set aside time to sit and write, whether it's a poem, or a couple lines, or whatever. It's been a long year, and if you were to look through my files on my laptop, my stuff on a couple of fan fiction sites, or even my Twitter feed, there's not much to show for it. It's been a dry year.

"But Seanna!" you might not be thinking. "You're such a good writer! What about those little stories you used to make?"

Yeah, I don't know what happened either, and now I've run out of excuses. Maybe I got tired of wearing my heart on my sleeve, posting poetry and stories about my day-to-day life for people who will never read them. Maybe I got tired of people asking stuff like, "is that character supposed to be you?", "Who's that supposed to be about?", stuff like that. I've had writer's block since 2013, for fuck's sake. 

But it wouldn't be true if I said I didn't do any writing. I guess I started on a few stories, developed a few characters, dreamt up a couple of plots... and then abandoned them all. I started a story loosely based on how my boyfriend and I met, but I thought I'd be clever and use two girls instead of the standard boy-meets-girl. I had everything planned out, right down to the climax of the story. It was the ending that got to me. I couldn't decide whether Jade and Charlotte were going to actually fall in love, or if one of them was going to move away, or what was even going to happen. I abandoned that story months ago now. I tried another one, this time with a group of four friends on a stoned adventure of some sort. But now that I think about it, the story kind of trailed off to nothing, and that seems rather fitting. 

Now I'm here, sitting on the love seat with a laptop warming my legs nicely. I'm a tiny bit proud of myself; I actually wrote a whole blog post! That counts as writing, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment